After the barrage of price releases last week, the 2010 Bordeaux Futures campaign paused this week for VinExpo to take center stage. Wine professionals and journalists have spent the week meeting with exhibitors, tasting wines (including a 2010 Bordeaux tasting by the Union Grand Cru association), and visiting chateaux.
Two top wine critics, Jancis Robinson (Financial Times) and James Molesworth (Wine Spectator), have recently weighed in on their top 2010 Bordeaux value wines to help wine lovers find great Bordeaux within their price ranges. You can check out the interviews:
- Jancis Robinson: Bordeaux and bubbles – FT interview with Jancis Robinson
- 10 Hidden Gems From Bordeaux’s 2010 Vintage – Shanken News Daily Inverview with James Molesworth
Here are a few of their top recommended value wines, along with Roger Bohmrich’s tasting notes:
- Château Les Ormes de Pez (Saint-Estephe) – Saturated cassis purple, Ormes de Pez 2010 is very concentrated and very ripe but not excessively so; the nose shows liqueur-toned black fruits with an attractive overlay of oak. Blended from 57% Cabernet Sauvignon and 34% Merlot with additions of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, this wine commands attention with its volume in the mouth, despite being mostly closed, and the fruit is matched by a firm frame. Ormes de Pez continues a series of exceptional vintages with this well-endowed 2010.
- Château Gloria (St. Julien) – A consistent performer, Gloria has made a 2010 with a great deal of promise. A blend of 63% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot, 6% Petit Verdot and 5% Cabernet Franc which is maturing in 38% new barrels, Gloria has a reserved, nuanced nose of dark fruits with lift and spice and a dusty Cabernet undertone. It is ripe and fresh and expands in a warm, enveloping finish.
- Château Sénéjac (Haut Medoc) – This 2010 has a saturated cassis color with a purple rim. It is very ripe and full with marked black cherry and black currant fruit. There is above-average richness, and the wine is full and plump, with fine, hidden acidity and well-handled tannins. A highly successful vintage from this property.