With a rich history dating back eight centuries, Chateau La Tour Carnet is located in the heart of the Haut-Medoc in Bordeaux. Its story is closely tied to that of France as a whole. Its name comes from a French squire who helped his Lord resist the French monarchy at the end of the 100 Years War. Over the following years, La Tour Carnet played an integral role in developing the vineyards in the Medoc region. In recognition of the quality of its wines it was named a Grand Cru Classé in the famous 1855 Bordeaux Classification.
This property is celebrated for its medieval chateau and emblematic square tower. At the beginning of the 20th century, it was one of the many victims of the Phylloxera epidemic and fell into the hands of an investment group more concerned with profit than the quality of the wines it produced.
La Tour Carnet would undergo a comeback in 1962 with the arrival of Louis Lipschitz, who organized a complete renovation of the property, from the vines to the cellars, in order to bring the historic chateau back to life. Currently, the property belongs to Bernard Magrez, who has kept the ambition and passion of his predecessors alive and well, and contributed his own modern, forward-thinking point of view.
The uniqueness of La Tour Carnet is found in its diverse soil makeup. Some vines grow on gravely sandstone, others of silica-rich limestone, chalk, and clay. This mosaic of terroir has been the focus of much research at the estate. They have even invested in drones to better survey the property and to help determine the best compatibility between a particular sub-plot and the varietal to plant. All of this is done with the same goal: produce the highest quality wines possible. It is with this in mind that Bernard Magrez has returned to traditional methods like harvesting by hand.
Château La Tour Carnet, Grand Cru Classé in 1855 is aged in barrels, including 50% new oak barrels, for 18 months before bottling.